The Scottish-born Ryrie brothers ventured into the Yarra Valley, acquiring 43,000 acres and naming the land ‘Yering’, its Aboriginal name. The brothers planted two grape varieties but primarily used the land for their cattle. During the early 1850s Paul de Castella took ownership of Yering Station and began developing from what remained primarily a cattle station into a landmark of winemaking in Victoria.
For years the Yering Station vineyard was one of the largest in the area, and visitors and holiday makers to the Yarra Valley increased. Wines from this new region began to make their mark on the world, with Yering taking out awards such as the Argus Gold Cup for best Victorian Vineyard in 1861 and a Grand Prix at the Universal Exhibition in Paris in 1889, where only fourteen awards were ever presented internationally.
After changing hands several times throughout the early-to-mid 1900s, Yering Station was purchased by the Rathbone family in 1996.
In 2008 Willy Lunn joined Yering Station as the Chief Winemaker. Willy continues to be a welcome addition to the Yering Station team and his passion for the industry and commitment to encouraging a strong culture will allow Yering to thrive.
The importance of proud heritage is still a visible and prominent feature of the property, including the original avenue of elms, heritage-listed barn and early winery building (which is now home to the Yering cellar door).